debian installer - text mode

Carl Karsten
I am trying to run the text mode debian installer as the guest.
the host is a headless box I ssh into.

I don't need or want any graphics anything.

I think the installer probes the graphics card to figure out what it can
do.  I think qemu would not advertise any vga modes, then di would not try
to use them.  or if it does, and qemu errors, it would fall back to text
mode.

I can pass parameters to the linux kernel like (digging up 2 year old stuff
that should still be relevant:

APPEND --- debconf/priority=high auto=true netcfg/dhcp_timeout=60
url=negk:8000
fb=false \
vga=normal \
console=ttyS0,9600n8

boot that from a usb stick:

qemu-system-x86_64 -m 256     -drive file=disk.cow,index=0     -drive
file=/dev/sdb,index=1,format=raw,if=none,id=thumb       -device
ide-hd,drive=thumb,bootindex=1 \
-display curses

I see this in text:

SeaBIOS (version 1.10.2-1)
iPXE (http://ipxe.org) 00:03.0 CA00 PCI2.10 PnP PMM+0FF90D40+0FED0D40 CA00
Booting from Hard Disk...

and then qemu uses 100% of my cpu and I have no idea what it is doing.

QEMU emulator version 2.8.1(Debian 1:2.8+dfsg-6)

Carl K

Re: debian installer - text mode

Carl Karsten
solved!