SPARC emulation using Debian

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

SPARC emulation using Debian

Tinnemeyer, Jorn
Hello,

I am trying to emulate a sparc system using Debian (kernel 2.6.8-2) with qemu 0.7.0. The installation fails during filesystem setup (output below).  Does anyone have suggestion on how to proceed?

Thanks,
Joern.  


256 MB total
IOMMU: impl 0 vers 0 page table at 0xFFD20000 of size 32768 bytes
NVRAM: id QEMU_BIOS version 1
Prom console: serial
dma0: Revision 0
le0: LANCE 52:54:0:12:34:56
le0: using TPE.
dma1: Revision 0
Boot device: d
Loading partition table from target 2:
CHS: 2048/1/640, partitions:
a: 0 + 9600
b: 0 + 9600
c: 0 + 9600
d: 0 + 9600
e: 0 + 9600
f: 0 + 9600
g: 0 + 9600
h: 0 + 9600
booting sd(0,2,0):d (offset 1)
Memory used: virt 0xFFD00000:0xFFD37000[220K] iomap 0xFFD3C000:0xFFD4B000
Kernel loaded at 0x4000, size 0K, command line = ''
SILO Version 1.4.8
\


                  Welcome to Debian GNU/Linux sarge!

This is a Debian installation CD-ROM, built on 20050305.
Keep it once you have installed your system, as you can boot from it
PROMLIB: Sun Boot Prom Version 0 Revision 77
Linux version 2.6.8-2-sparc32 ([hidden email]) (gcc version 3.3.5 (Debian 1:3.3.5-5)) #1 Tue Dec 28 11:48:08 PST 2004
ARCH: SUN4M
TYPE: JavaStation
Ethernet address: 52:54:0:12:34:56
Boot time fixup v1.6. 4/Mar/98 Jakub Jelinek ([hidden email]). Patching kernel for srmmu[Fujitsu Swift]/iommu
63MB HIGHMEM available.
Power off control detected.
Built 1 zonelists
Kernel command line: root=/dev/rd/0 ro rw ramdisk_size=8192 rootfstype=ext2
PID hash table entries: 1024 (order 10: 8192 bytes)
Console: colour dummy device 80x25
Dentry cache hash table entries: 32768 (order: 5, 131072 bytes)
Inode-cache hash table entries: 16384 (order: 4, 65536 bytes)
Memory: 251704k/261904k available (1544k kernel code, 9904k reserved, 384k data, 124k init, 65296k highmem)
Calibrating delay loop... 157.28 BogoMIPS
Mount-cache hash table entries: 512 (order: 0, 4096 bytes)
checking if image is initramfs...it isn't (no cpio magic); looks like an initrd
Freeing initrd memory: 2287k freed
NET: Registered protocol family 16
IOMMU: impl 0 vers 0 table 0xf07c0000[262144 B] map [65536 b]
sbus0: Clock 25.0 MHz
dma0: Revision 0
dma1: Revision 0
highmem bounce pool size: 64 pages
VFS: Disk quotas dquot_6.5.1
Dquot-cache hash table entries: 1024 (order 0, 4096 bytes)
devfs: 2004-01-31 Richard Gooch ([hidden email])
devfs: boot_options: 0x0
Initializing Cryptographic API
Console: switching to mono PROM 80x25
ioremap: done with statics, switching to malloc
zs2 at 0xfd014004 (irq = 44) is a SunZilog
zs3 at 0xfd014000 (irq = 44) is a SunZilog
ttyS0 at MMIO 0x0 (irq = 44) is a SunZilog
ttyS1 at MMIO 0x0 (irq = 44) is a SunZilog
Console: ttyS0 (SunZilog zs0)
Using anticipatory io scheduler
Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
FDC 0 is a S82078B
RAMDISK driver initialized: 16 RAM disks of 8192K size 1024 blocksize
mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
input: Sun Type 5 keyboard on zs/serio0
i8042.c: i8042 controller self test timeout.
NET: Registered protocol family 2
IP: routing cache hash table of 2048 buckets, 16Kbytes
TCP: Hash tables configured (established 16384 bind 32768)
NET: Registered protocol family 1
NET: Registered protocol family 17
RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0
RAMDISK: incomplete write (-28 != 18432) 8388608
VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
Freeing unused kernel memory: 124k freed
Setting up filesystem, please wait ...
Setting up filesystem, please wait ...
Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!
 <0>Press L1-A to return to the boot prom


_______________________________________________
Qemu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/qemu-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SPARC emulation using Debian

hugang
On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 02:41:07PM +0100, Tinnemeyer, Jorn wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to emulate a sparc system using Debian (kernel 2.6.8-2) with qemu 0.7.0. The installation fails during filesystem setup (output below).  Does anyone have suggestion on how to proceed?
>
....
> Kernel command line: root=/dev/rd/0 ro rw ramdisk_size=8192 rootfstype=ext2
......
> RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0
> RAMDISK: incomplete write (-28 != 18432) 8388608
> VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
> Freeing unused kernel memory: 124k freed
> Setting up filesystem, please wait ...
> Setting up filesystem, please wait ...
> Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!
>  <0>Press L1-A to return to the boot prom

try change ramesize=8192 to ramesize=16384

--
Hu Gang       .-.
              /v\
             // \\
Linux User  /(   )\  [204016]
GPG Key ID   ^^-^^   http://soulinfo.com/~hugang/hugang.asc


_______________________________________________
Qemu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/qemu-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SPARC emulation using Debian

hugang
On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 09:49:03PM +0800, [hidden email] wrote:

> On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 02:41:07PM +0100, Tinnemeyer, Jorn wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am trying to emulate a sparc system using Debian (kernel 2.6.8-2) with qemu 0.7.0. The installation fails during filesystem setup (output below).  Does anyone have suggestion on how to proceed?
> >
> ....
> > Kernel command line: root=/dev/rd/0 ro rw ramdisk_size=8192 rootfstype=ext2
> ......
> > RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0
> > RAMDISK: incomplete write (-28 != 18432) 8388608
> > VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
> > Freeing unused kernel memory: 124k freed
> > Setting up filesystem, please wait ...
> > Setting up filesystem, please wait ...
> > Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!
> >  <0>Press L1-A to return to the boot prom
>
> try change ramesize=8192 to ramesize=16384
>
sorry,
 try change ramdisk_size=8192 to ramdisk_size=16384

--
Hu Gang       .-.
              /v\
             // \\
Linux User  /(   )\  [204016]
GPG Key ID   ^^-^^   http://soulinfo.com/~hugang/hugang.asc


_______________________________________________
Qemu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/qemu-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SPARC emulation using Debian

Tinnemeyer, Jorn
In reply to this post by Tinnemeyer, Jorn
On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 09:49:03PM +0800, address@hidden wrote:

> On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 02:41:07PM +0100, Tinnemeyer, Jorn wrote:
> > Hello,
> > > > I am trying to emulate a sparc system using Debian (kernel 2.6.8-2) with > > qemu 0.7.0. The installation fails during filesystem setup (output below).  > > Does anyone have suggestion on how to proceed?
> > > ....
> > Kernel command line: root=/dev/rd/0 ro rw ramdisk_size=8192 rootfstype=ext2
> ......
> > RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0
> > RAMDISK: incomplete write (-28 != 18432) 8388608
> > VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
> > Freeing unused kernel memory: 124k freed
> > Setting up filesystem, please wait ...
> > Setting up filesystem, please wait ...
> > Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!
> >  <0>Press L1-A to return to the boot prom
> > try change ramesize=8192 to ramesize=16384 > sorry,
 try change ramdisk_size=8192 to ramdisk_size=16384

--
Hu Gang       .-.
              /v\
             // \\
Linux User  /(   )\  [204016]
GPG Key ID   ^^-^^   http://soulinfo.com/~hugang/hugang.asc

Thank you for the advice.  It corrected the loading of the ramdisk but the filesystem initialization is still having issues.  Currently I am trying to reconstruct initrd to see what part is causing the problem.

Joern


Console: ttyS0 (SunZilog zs0)
Using anticipatory io scheduler
Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
FDC 0 is a S82078B
RAMDISK driver initialized: 16 RAM disks of 16384K size 1024 blocksize
mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
input: Sun Type 5 keyboard on zs/serio0
i8042.c: i8042 controller self test timeout.
NET: Registered protocol family 2
IP: routing cache hash table of 2048 buckets, 16Kbytes
TCP: Hash tables configured (established 16384 bind 32768)
NET: Registered protocol family 1
NET: Registered protocol family 17
RAMDISK: Compressed image found at block 0
VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
Trying to move old root to /initrd ... okay
Freeing unused kernel memory: 124k freed
Setting up filesystem, please wait ...


_______________________________________________
Qemu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/qemu-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SPARC emulation using Debian

Blue Swirl
In reply to this post by Tinnemeyer, Jorn
Hi,

Perhaps the problem can be found with the help of source code, could you
tell where to find the sources for the booting progam?

Anyways, I suspect there are still a few bugs with context switching.

_________________________________________________________________
FREE pop-up blocking with the new MSN Toolbar - get it now!
http://toolbar.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200415ave/direct/01/



_______________________________________________
Qemu-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.nongnu.org/mailman/listinfo/qemu-devel