Qemu + Windows

Michael Noisternig
Hi guys,
several things don't work on Windows, as you certainly know. Probably
most of them are easy to fix. E.g. don't write to stderr on Windows, you
won't see it (unless redirected), (IIRC).
Also switching between virtual screens does not work.
What I would really like to see is Qemu interacting with GDB, that means
Qemu on Windows *really* waits for a GDB connection when option -s is
supplied.
Sorry if you think that I shouldn't post this on a devel list, but I
think otherwise no-one will hear it. Thanks for listening, and for the
good work,
Michael Noisternig

Re: Qemu + Windows

Jernej Simončič
On Saturday, May 28, 2005, 18:10:44, Michael Noisternig wrote:

> several things don't work on Windows, as you certainly know. Probably
> most of them are easy to fix. E.g. don't write to stderr on Windows, you
> won't see it (unless redirected), (IIRC).

You'll see STDERR output as long as Qemu is compiled as a console
application.

--
< Jernej Simoncic ><><><><>< http://deepthought.ena.si/ >

Nobody loves a winner who wins all the time.
       -- Trump's Quirk of Human Nature

Re: Qemu + Windows

Filip Navara
Hi!

Michael Noisternig wrote:

> Hi guys,
> several things don't work on Windows, as you certainly know. Probably
> most of them are easy to fix. E.g. don't write to stderr on Windows,
> you won't see it (unless redirected), (IIRC).

There has been couple of patches that allow this to work. The key is
just to add "-mconsole" to the linker options ...

> Also switching between virtual screens does not work.

It works for me...

> What I would really like to see is Qemu interacting with GDB, that
> means Qemu on Windows *really* waits for a GDB connection when option
> -s is supplied.

I've made a patch for this long time ago. You can find it in the mailing
list archives or somewhere at http://www.h7.dion.ne.jp/~qemu-win/.

> Sorry if you think that I shouldn't post this on a devel list, but I
> think otherwise no-one will hear it. Thanks for listening, and for the
> good work,
> Michael Noisternig

Regards,
Filip Navara

Re: Qemu + Windows

Filip Navara-2

Hi!

Michael Noisternig wrote:

> Hi guys,
> several things don't work on Windows, as you certainly know. Probably
> most of them are easy to fix. E.g. don't write to stderr on Windows,
> you won't see it (unless redirected), (IIRC).

There has been couple of patches that allow this to work. The key is
just to add "-mconsole" to the linker options ...

> Also switching between virtual screens does not work.

It works for me...

> What I would really like to see is Qemu interacting with GDB, that
> means Qemu on Windows *really* waits for a GDB connection when option
> -s is supplied.

I've made a patch for this long time ago. You can find it in the mailing
list archives or somewhere at http://www.h7.dion.ne.jp/~qemu-win/.

> Sorry if you think that I shouldn't post this on a devel list, but I
> think otherwise no-one will hear it. Thanks for listening, and for the
> good work,
> Michael Noisternig

Regards,
Filip Navara

Re: Qemu + Windows

Michael Noisternig
>> several things don't work on Windows, as you certainly know. Probably
>> most of them are easy to fix. E.g. don't write to stderr on Windows, you
>> won't see it (unless redirected), (IIRC).
>
> You'll see STDERR output as long as Qemu is compiled as a console
> application.

The problem is that the official binary on the sf website doesn't print
*anything* because of this. Not even on "qemu -h".

Re: Qemu + Windows

Michael Noisternig
> The problem is that the official binary on the sf website doesn't print *anything* because of this. Not even on "qemu -h".

Oh, wait a minute, there is no official windows build, on the homepage I
meant. I was talking about the windows build that is linked to at the
homepage.

Re: Qemu + Windows

Michael Noisternig
Is there somewhere a Windows build available for download that has old
that patches incorporated? Sorry, but I don't want to download and
install MingW just for compiling Qemu.
Thanks again,
Michael Noisternig

Re: Qemu + Windows

Jernej Simončič
On Sunday, May 29, 2005, 11:34:42, Michael Noisternig wrote:

> The problem is that the official binary on the sf website doesn't print
> *anything* because of this. Not even on "qemu -h".

I posted a program that can change that here:
<http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2005-04/msg00437.html>

--
< Jernej Simoncic ><><><><>< http://deepthought.ena.si/ >

Nothing is impossible for the man who doesn't have to do it himself.
       -- Weiler's Law