Networking with Ubuntu 17.04

Narcis Garcia
I'm using Qemu 2.0.0
has anybody experienced networking problems with Ubuntu zesty guest?

All Ubuntu versions until 16.10 work well for me, but not Ubuntu 17.04
(both using and not using NetworkManager at guest).
I've tried both user mode for NIC interface and TAP to a bridge (single
NIC). Same result either with rtl8139 and virtio driver:

DHCP configures perfectly (IP, gateway, DNS assigned) both in
Qemu-embedded-usermode and external (when bridged to physical network).
But no communication at all (ICMP, DNS, ping, http).

Re: Networking with Ubuntu 17.04

Peter Maydell-5
On 14 June 2017 at 18:53, Narcis Garcia <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm using Qemu 2.0.0
> has anybody experienced networking problems with Ubuntu zesty guest?

The first thing I would suggest is: have you tried a newer
version of QEMU? 2.0.0 is three years old now, and it's
quite possible that the bug you're encountering has already
been fixed. I'd suggest testing with 2.9.0.

thanks
-- PMM

Re: Networking with Ubuntu 17.04

Narcis Garcia

El 14/06/17 a les 21:13, Peter Maydell ha escrit:

> On 14 June 2017 at 18:53, Narcis Garcia <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I'm using Qemu 2.0.0
>> has anybody experienced networking problems with Ubuntu zesty guest?
>
> The first thing I would suggest is: have you tried a newer
> version of QEMU? 2.0.0 is three years old now, and it's
> quite possible that the bug you're encountering has already
> been fixed. I'd suggest testing with 2.9.0.
>
> thanks
> -- PMM

I use Qemu versions as OS distributions provide during their lifecycle.

Re: Networking with Ubuntu 17.04

Vincenzo Romano

> El 14/06/17 a les 21:13, Peter Maydell ha escrit:
>> On 14 June 2017 at 18:53, Narcis Garcia <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I'm using Qemu 2.0.0
>>> has anybody experienced networking problems with Ubuntu zesty guest?
>>
>> The first thing I would suggest is: have you tried a newer
>> version of QEMU? 2.0.0 is three years old now, and it's
>> quite possible that the bug you're encountering has already
>> been fixed. I'd suggest testing with 2.9.0.
>>
>> thanks
>> -- PMM
>>

> I use Qemu versions as OS distributions provide during their lifecycle.

Hi.
Which host OS are you using?
Ubuntu 14.04 is (still) shipping v2.0.0.
While the OS itself is LTS, the applications aren't.
v2.0.0 has been released on 2014-04-17, 3+ years ago and maybe it's
not able to run a kernel released a few months ago.
Besides that, have you tried a "virtio-net" device?

--
Vincenzo Romano - NotOrAnd.IT
Information Technologies
NON QVIETIS MARIBVS NAVTA PERITVS

On 15 June 2017 at 07:20, Narcis Garcia <[hidden email]> wrote:
> El 14/06/17 a les 21:13, Peter Maydell ha escrit:
>> On 14 June 2017 at 18:53, Narcis Garcia <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I'm using Qemu 2.0.0
>>> has anybody experienced networking problems with Ubuntu zesty guest?
>>
>> The first thing I would suggest is: have you tried a newer
>> version of QEMU? 2.0.0 is three years old now, and it's
>> quite possible that the bug you're encountering has already
>> been fixed. I'd suggest testing with 2.9.0.

> I use Qemu versions as OS distributions provide during their lifecycle.

Sure, and that's understandable, but as an upstream developer
we don't support the older versions. The standard process
that almost any open source project will use for "bug reported
against old version" will be to ask the bug reporter to try
to reproduce with a new version. This is basically because
as an open source project relying on volunteer effort for
end-user support, we don't have the resources to investigate
bugs in older versions.

thanks
-- PMM

Re: Networking with Ubuntu 17.04

Narcis Garcia
El 15/06/17 a les 09:26, Vincenzo Romano ha escrit:

Yes, tried with same resul.

Re: Networking with Ubuntu 17.04

Narcis Garcia
El 15/06/17 a les 10:39, Peter Maydell ha escrit:

Okay, understood.

Re: Networking with Ubuntu 17.04

Vincenzo Romano

> El 15/06/17 a les 09:26, Vincenzo Romano ha escrit:
>>>
>>> El 14/06/17 a les 21:13, Peter Maydell ha escrit:

>>> I use Qemu versions as OS distributions provide during their lifecycle.
>>>

>> Hi.
>> Which host OS are you using?
>> Ubuntu 14.04 is (still) shipping v2.0.0.
>> While the OS itself is LTS, the applications aren't.
>> v2.0.0 has been released on 2014-04-17, 3+ years ago and maybe it's
>> not able to run a kernel released a few months ago.
>> Besides that, have you tried a "virtio-net" device?
>>
>> --
>> Vincenzo Romano - NotOrAnd.IT
>> Information Technologies
>> --
>> NON QVIETIS MARIBVS NAVTA PERITVS
>>

> Yes, tried with same resul.

Anyway,

I manually download and compile QEMU from the latest released sources.
And a few times also from GIT.
Ubuntu actually sucks in keeping up with important (to me) packages,
so either I use alternative repositories or compile them by myself.
If I can give you my advise, jump on 16.04 if possible. You'll get
newer versions for almost all packages (QEMU is at 2.6) and longer
term support.

--
Vincenzo Romano - NotOrAnd.IT
Information Technologies
NON QVIETIS MARIBVS NAVTA PERITVS

Re: Networking with Ubuntu 17.04

Narcis Garcia
El 15/06/17 a les 10:39, Peter Maydell ha escrit:

> On 15 June 2017 at 07:20, Narcis Garcia <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> The first thing I would suggest is: have you tried a newer
>>> version of QEMU? 2.0.0 is three years old now, and it's
>>> quite possible that the bug you're encountering has already
>>> been fixed. I'd suggest testing with 2.9.0.
>
>> I use Qemu versions as OS distributions provide during their lifecycle.
>
> Sure, and that's understandable, but as an upstream developer
> we don't support the older versions. The standard process
> that almost any open source project will use for "bug reported
> against old version" will be to ask the bug reporter to try
> to reproduce with a new version. This is basically because
> as an open source project relying on volunteer effort for
> end-user support, we don't have the resources to investigate
> bugs in older versions.
>
> thanks
> -- PMM

Tested now with Qemu 2.5.0 with same results.
No newer Qemu versions on Ubuntu LTS, and without network I cannot
install Qemu in a guest to try v2.8 from Ubuntu 17.04 for a nested machine.

Tried both i686 and amd64 architectures for guest too.